Fire & EC

Fire and EC is one of the more limited fire insurance policies. Most insurance companies will give you coverage for claims resulting from:

  • Fire or Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Smoke
  • Falling Object
  • Impact by aircraft, spacecraft or land vehicle
  • Riot
  • Water damage
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Vandalism or Malicious Acts

You will see this type of coverage on rented dwellings, seasonal properties and homes that do not have the usual standard or updated roofing, wiring, plumbing or heating.

These coverages can be restricted if the building is under construction or vacant. It is important that your situation be well understood by your adviser.

Obviously there are other coverages that you would want to see included if possible. So you discuss with the broker or agent about just which form would have wider coverage and is available to you.

It is usual to see the broad form or the comprehensive form. Both increase the risks that is covered in a claim. If truly all you are looking for is some fire insurance and you do not have concerns about collapse of the building, or breakage of glass then the Fire & EC form does give basic fire insurance.

Ask questions to be sure that you have the necessary coverage for your particular circumstance. Talk to your agent or broker.