What Is Collision and Comprehensive?

Collision and Comprehensive coverage

This is the optional physical damage coverage you can add to an automobile insurance policy. If you have a lease or financing on your vehicle then you usually don't have a choice.

You can buy comprehensive coverage and not have collision. The comprehensive coverage is for damages from vandalism, impact with an animal, fire, flood, theft, wind and except for the standard exclusions this is a fairly wide coverage. It does not include collision and upset. Since glass claims are so common the insurance companies charge quite a high premium if you choose full glass coverage.

Often you can buy a separate glass coverage as a "stand alone" policy. If your vehicle glass is reasonable to repair and replace you may choose to self-insure this part of your coverage. If so you will see a SEF 13d notation on the policy declaration.

There is a lesser form of coverage below comprehensive referred to as specified perils. You do not get vandalism or impact with an animal and the resulting premium is quite a bit less, often 1/4 of the limited comprehensive form. You can choose to self insure in these areas and take that savings.

If you want to purchase collision coverage then you must have specified perils or comprehensive coverage. The collision portion pays for damage to your car if you hit something or an upset to your vehicle.

All Perils is a coverage of both collision and comprehensive. Often the comprehensive cannot have the limited glass when done as an all perils form. Some insurers give a deductible on the comprehensive premium.

All of these coverages have a deductible - the amount you choose is the amount you will pay or self insure on any claims. You are not required to have the same deductible for all your vehicles nor are you required to carry these coverages unless the vehicle is financed or leased.