Recreational Vehicle

Recreational vehicle can be a vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, travel or seasonal use, that either is mounted on or towed by another vehicle.

Examples of some recreational vehicles include, but are not limited to, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, fifth wheel trailers, tent trailers, and motor homes. This is not mobile homes which though called mobile are actually stationary.

The rates for recreational vehicles are stacked over the season that the unit is in use. Motorcycles generate premium from early Spring to Fall and snowmobiles generate premium from late Fall to early Spring. So it is of no savings to drop your coverage during the "off" season.

Rates for recreational vehicles are usually quite low as they are not used with the same intention of a pleasure vehicle to commute to and from work or a commercial vehicle which carries tools or supplies.

Once again you are wise to consider what your particular need is for your recreational vehicle. If you do not carry some Specified Perils or Comprehensive coverage for physical damage then you will bear the brunt of any costs when your sled hits a rock and cannot be brought down the mountain. Another example would be your motorcycle being vandalized to the point of extensive repairs being required.

Many an accident has resulted in a significant collision claim so if you have quite a bit of money invested in this item then do consider having physical damage coverage.

You also need to consider if you will add this unit to an existing policy or if you will keep it separate. There are reasons to do both. It may be less expensive to add your unit to your home or automobile policy. You may get a lesser deductible by writing in on a stand-alone policy. You want to consider the impact of having a claim and will it cost you a discount?

Insurance answer
Be sure to determine if your coverage is for guaranteed replacement cost, replacement cost or actual cash value. Talk to your agent or broker about what will "really happen" at the time of a claim. You may need an appraisal, receipts or other documentation to receive what you consider to be fair.