Mass Evacuation

What is mass evacuation? If something dangerous to human life occurs such as a toxic spill or a gas well blowout then you could be ordered to leave your home by civil authority.

Do you have this coverage on your homeowner or tenant policy? You should check and if you do not then consider the cost. If you were ordered out of your home by order of the police because of a burst gas main due to a fire in the neighbourhood then your policy would likely respond for your lost rental income or necessary additional living expenses for a specified period, usually two weeks. If your family had to stay in a hotel or motel for two weeks at a minimum of $100/day then the cost is going to be at least $1,400. What if it is longer?

The insurance answer is that people need protection from extraordinary circumstances. Talk to your agent or broker about your policy to be sure you have the protection you want.

See Also:

  • Bullet Item