Mad About An Insurance Claim?

"I'm mad at my insurance company" said the distraught woman, "They haven't treated me fairly."

This can happen when you have suffered a loss which resulted in a claim. How do you resolve the situation? You can try the following:

  1. Call your adjuster and tell him you're not satisfied. Do this politely. It is likely not the first time that day that they have dealt with a complaint.
  2. State your position without assigning blame. An example would be, "My claim number is 123456 and the date of my loss is January 1, 2008. It is my understanding that I have fulfilled all the requirements to complete my claim. I have not received payment. Is there a reason for the delay?" This gives your adjuster the necessary reference information. A quick check on your records should reveal the current status of your claim.
  3. If the response from the adjuster is not to your liking, then you can suggest an alternative. In this example, you may not want to wait for a mailed cheque. You could offer to pick up the cheque from the insurance company's local office or from your agent or broker's office.
  4. If your situation is beyond our example, then you might contact your local agent or broker. Often they can help resolve a misunderstanding and get your claim back on track.
  5. If you have tried all of this and still do not feel satisfied, then you can register a complaint.

Your rights as an insurance consumer are protected. Review the information through the link provided below. If you feel that your rights have been violated, then you can proceed to the next step.

Contact the General Insurance Ombudsman at the link shown below.