Do you fly a glider? Product recall

Spektrum AR6250 DSM2 6-Channel Carbon Fiber Receivers recalled

On September 14 2010 there has been announced a Joint Recall with Horizon Hobby Inc., Health Canada, and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (US CPSC).

This recall involves Spektrum AR6250 DSM2 6-Channel Carbon Fiber Receivers. These units are designed for use in carbon fiber model gliders. The name "Spektrum AR6250" is printed on the front of the receiver.

You can identify the recalled product by model number AR6250 and UPC 605482001400. This information can be found on the product packaging. The model number can also be found on the front and back of the receiver.

What is the danger?

Horizon has received reports of customers losing contact to the radio control when using this receiver. This can result in loss of control of the glider. This loss of control increases the hazard of injury or property damage to people or objects nearby.

At time of the recall Health Canada, Horizon Hobby Inc., and the US CPSC have not received any reports of incidents or injuries related to the use of these receivers.

What do I do?

People who have the recalled AR6250 receivers are strongly advised to immediately stop using them and contact Horizon Hobby Distributors Inc. to arrange to receive a free re-designed receiver. For United States and Canadian customers only, Horizon will pay for all ground shipping charges to and from US service center.

For more information on how to return the AR6250 and request the upgraded receiver, consumers may contact Horizon Hobby Product Support Team at 1-877-504-0233 between 8AM and 7PM CT, Monday through Friday, or visit the Horizon Hobby website

Approximately 3,500 of the recalled receivers were sold at various independent stores and directly to consumers across the United States, while approximately 158 were sold in Canada. The recalled units were sold from March 2009 to May 2010 in both Canada and in the United States. These receivers were manufactured in China with Horizon Hobby Inc. of Champaign, Illinois.

Insurance help

Would insurance pay a claim if I lost control of my glider and it hit someone or their property? Yes, it should. The accidental injury to persons or property is covered under your property insurance. So if you have a homeowner's, tenant's, or condo policy you likely have coverage. Talk to your agent or broker to confirm that your specific policy will respond.