Who do I call after an accident?

If you have had a car crash then you need to notify your insurance company.

  • After you have reported the collision to the police, advise your insurance company, regardless of which driver was at fault, as soon as possible. Tell them the details of the collision, including any injuries and damages to vehicles or properties. You might have difficulty processing a claim if you are late contacting your insurer, or if you are found withholding details. If your claim is valid, your insurance company must settle it within the time limits stated in your policy.
  • Police do not determine liability; this is determined in part by insurance companies. If you feel it is necessary, it can be challenged in the Provincial Court of Alberta. If the police lay charges as a result of the collision, this does not necessarily equate to who is liable for the collision. It is logical that you will be found to be at fault if you are charged and convicted of a driving error. This will be seen as the cause of the collision. This is particularly important if there are not independent witnesses to prove your innocence.
  • If your contact is by telephone, follow up with a letter outlining the details of your claim.
  • Know the limits of your coverage. If you are not certain of what is and isn’t covered by your policy, ask your insurer. Some insurance companies may also connect you to a trained claim advisor to walk you through what to do, including how to deal with the other driver(s) involved.

At this point it is very important that you remember:

  • Do not voluntarily assume liability, take responsibility, or sign statements regarding fault.
  • Do not pay, or promise to pay, for damages at the scene of the collision.
  • Do not agree to forget about the collision.
  • Do not accept money or discuss any settlement.

Call your agent or insurance broker if you wish to advise the insurance company through that person. The broker or agent does not act as an adjuster but may be quite helpful.