Baby monitor linked to two deaths

The United States has seen a recall of the corded video monitors from Summer Infant Inc.

There have been two deaths linked to the strangulation hazard of this particular product. The monitors pose a risk to the infants if placed too close to the crib.

In March 2010 a 10-month girl was strangled to death in her crib by the cord from the monitor. A similar case was seen in November when a South Carolina six month-old boy died.

The company plans to include new safety labeling on the monitors to warn parents of the risks.

At time of the United States recall it is not known if these products were distributed in Canada.

baby.jpg