Appliance is a device that operates by electricity. Includes lights and heaters, not just machines with moving parts.

If you have a rental property then it is important to remember to add landlord's contents insurance for the fridge, stove, washer, dryer and any other appliances. The cost is very reasonable and without it you would not have coverage in the case of a claim such as fire.

Be sure to talk to your agent or broker about the replacement cost values. If you are a builder then be sure to clarify coverage for appliances. You may have to add them as contents if they are not built-in. Be sure you know what coverage you have. Take control of your insurance.