Agriculture (a term which encompasses farming and ranching) is the process of producing food, feed, fiber, fuel and other goods by the systematic raising of plants and animals. This is regarded as a commercial operation and requires special liability coverage.

This is not a hobby farm with a few acres and a home. Review your operation with the broker or agent to determine what options might be available to you. If you have a large garden and sell extra produce at the local Farmer's Market then you likely will need farm insurance coverage. Another example would be raising chickens and selling the eggs. Do sit down with your broker and let them know what you are doing.

It is important to note that many insurance companies do not regard trucks as farm use unless certain criteria is met. This can include that the main income of the owner of the vehicle is derived from the farm. There can be a requirement that at least one private passenger vehicle must be listed before any vehicles can be considered for these special rates. Often the insurer will want the owner to declare how often the truck is used for anything other then farm business.

Since this type of rate is significantly less then the usual pleasure rates for vehicles you might wish to discuss with your agent or broker which companies will consider your situation favourably.